|You might also like:||Abraham Lincoln KWHL Chart (6 rows): Graphic Organizers||10 Abraham Lincoln-Related Words Alphabetical Order Worksheet Printout||Timeline/Quiz Abraham Lincoln's Life||Abraham Lincoln: Cloze Activity||Timeline of Abraham Lincoln||Today's featured page: Planets Word Wheel: Printable Worksheet|
|Our subscribers' grade-level estimate for this page: 2nd - 3rd|
|President's Day Activities||EnchantedLearning.com
||Presidents of the USA|
Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin near Hodgenville, Kentucky. He had very little formal schooling and was mostly self-educated. He eventually became a lawyer and a Republican politician; he earned the nickname "Honest Abe." Lincoln married Mary Todd in 1842.
During Lincoln's presidency, the Southern states seceded from (left) the Union because Lincoln and the Northern states were against slavery. Six weeks after becoming President, the Civil War began. In this war, the Northern states (which stayed in the Union) fought the Southern states (called the Confederacy). The Civil War lasted from 1861 until 1865.
On Jan. 1, 1863, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which eventually led to the freeing of all slaves in the USA. During the Civil War, Lincoln gave many speeches, including the Gettysburg Address (Nov. 1863), a short speech in which he stated how a country must be dedicated to human freedom in order to survive. The Civil War ended with a victory for the Union on April 9, 1865, when General Robert E. Lee (from the Confederacy) surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant (from the Union).
Lincoln was shot on April 14, 1865, by John Wilkes Booth. Lincoln had been attending Ford's Theater in Washington, D.C. Lincoln died the next morning. He was the first US president ever assassinated.
1. In which state was Lincoln born? _________________________________
2. During what years was Lincoln President of the US? _________________________________
3. Which US war took place during Lincoln's presidency? _________________________________
4. What is the name of Lincoln's most famous speech? _____________________________________________________
5. How long after the Civil War ended did Lincoln die? ___________________________
6. How old was Lincoln when he died? _______________
|Search the Enchanted Learning website for:|