|You might also like:||Quagga Read-and-Answer Quiz||Coelacanth Read-and-Answer Quiz||Brown Pelican Read-and-Answer Quiz||Kookaburra Read-and-Answer Quiz||Mockingbird Read-and-Answer Quiz||Today's featured page: Unscramble Words|
|Our subscribers' grade-level estimate for this page: 3rd - 4th|
|More Information on Birds||EnchantedLearning.com
Label Me! Printouts
Anatomy: The dodo had a large body, stubby wings, a small, curved tail, short legs, and a large beak. No complete specimens of the dodo were ever preserved; only some examples of the head and feet were saved. It may have weighed up to about 50 pounds (23 kg).
Eggs and Chicks: Females laid a single egg in each clutch (a set of eggs laid in one nesting period). The nest was located on the ground (and quite vulnerable to predators).
Diet: The dodo ate ripe fruit that fell to the ground, eating the fruit of the Calvaria major tree (which is often called the dodo tree). This long-living tree is now in danger of extinction since it depended on the dodo for its own reproduction; its seed can only germinate (sprout) after going through the digestive system of the dodo (the seed has a very thick coating). Scientists have found that turkeys have a similar digestive system to that of the dodo, and can stand in for the dodo in processing the seeds, perhaps saving the dodo tree.
Predators: On its native island of Mauritius, there were no large mammals to prey on the dodo. People introduced mammals, including pigs, monkeys, and rats, which ate the dodo's eggs; people often hunted and ate the dodo.
Classification: Kingdom Animalia (animals), phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata (vertebrates), class Aves (birds), order Columbiformes (pigeons, etc.), family Raphidae, genus Raphus, species R. cucullatus.
1. Could the dodo fly? ______________________________________
2. Where were dodos from? ______________________________________________________________
3. Where did dodos build their nests? ______________________________________________________________
4. What did dodos eat? __________________________________________________________________________
5. The extinction of the dodo caused what other organism to become endangered (and why)? _____________________
|Search the Enchanted Learning website for:|